Going the extra mile for someone who is taking care of you is easier: you are more willing to do it.
It’s essential to take care of your employees because ensuring that they are happy in the workplace will make a difference in your company’s success.
As we all know, these past four months during the COVID-19 pandemic, have not been easy. Not only COVID-19 is to blame for this, but in general, the world right now is filled with negativity. It’s because of this that now, more than ever, your employees need you.
We no longer have the ability to see each other at the office, share a meal, a coffee break, or even just a personal talk with a coworker. We cannot leave our homes, and for many, going to the office was their “family break.”
So, how do we ensure our employees are engaged in times when they need us the most?
You have to think outside of the box! Have you ever thought that all your employees have more than just work skills? Ask around, see what their hobbies are, what they like to do in the spare time, and bring it to life.
Thankfully, there are many resources, such as Zoom, Gotowebinar, live videos, and much more. Use these tools to make their hobbies into a company activity. Have a company meeting and make sure everyone’s ideas are heard. Let them know you value them.
At Optime, we have created after-work classes taught by our employees. It’s incredible how one hour of socializing with your coworkers and doing something new can change their spirit.
Below are the weekly classes we do at Optime to keep our company culture alive.
- Cooking class: Twice a week, we have a new member teach their recipe. They send out their ingredients in advance, and we all join live on Zoom to cook alongside them.
- Hairstyle class: Every couple of weeks, we choose a hairstyle that we want to learn how to do. We choose one designated person who knows the style best to teach us, and we all do it live.
- Makeup class: Just like our hairstyle classes, every couple of weeks, we choose a makeup technique that we want to learn. We choose one designated person who knows it best to teach us, and we all do it live.
- Bootcamp: Three times a week, we join via Zoom, and those who work in our company and are personal trainers or into fitness, guide us.
- Yoga: We have two yoga options: a 10-minute chair-yoga stretching class we do twice a week, and a full yoga class live via Zoom every couple of weeks, guided by our team members. This has allowed us to connect early in the morning with those we usually do not see and has taught us flexibility.
The possibilities are endless. You just need to be creative. Ensure that they are happy with the company culture you practice and make changes if they are not. Always think about your employees: their success is your company’s success.
Remember, the new norm means adapting, and you’re not alone.
HOW TO KEEP YOUR EMPLOYEES ENGAGED – WORKING FROM HOME, A SERIES
By: Isabela Rosa – September 2020